Monday, June 27, 2011

Another Foodie Post: Healthy Oatmeal Cookies



Today I just never found my mojo, and had an incredibly unproductive day. It was likely due to the fact that I got up at 4am with the hubs, after going to bed at midnight. I'm happy to say that I did manage to exercise.

This evening I came across a recipe for oatmeal cookies with whole wheat flour. I tweaked it a bit, and really liked the outcome, so I thought I'd share.

These are definitely a high fiber, low sugar, healthier cookie, not a decadent, feel guilty for eating sort of thing. I love sweets, but have to be mindful of my sugar and white flour intake. I can see having one before a workout if I need a little something.

So here is the link:
Whole Grain Gourmet Healthy Oatmeal Cookies

Changes I made include adding two handfuls each of chopped dates and chopped walnuts, used 1/2 coconut oil and 1/2 non-hydrogenated veg shortening, an extra 1/4 cup oats and 2 TBSP ground flax seed. My flour was whole wheat pastry flour.

I made 5 cookies tonight, then added 1 cup of canned pumpkin to the rest of the mix and stuck it in the fridge. I'm looking forward to making some in the morning to see what the pumpkin adds (besides 8 gms of fiber....). Other reviewers suggested the pumpkin, and it sounded good to me.

Now I do have to warn you that my 15 year old did not like these. However, she is not a whole grain kind of girl....

More tomorrow with the pumpkin update.

Back with the pumpkin update! Last night I added 1 cup canned pumpkin to the dough, and refrigerated it overnight. This afternoon I put half of the remaining dough (with pumpkin) into a small glass baking dish and patted it down, maybe close to an inch thick. Preheated the oven to 335 *F on convection setting, and baked for 20 minutes. Cooled and cut into bars. I'm in love with these. The pumpkin added more flavor and made them nice and moist. I like them as bars - fools my brain into not seeing it as a cookie. ;) I intend to put the remaining dough in a glass baking dish, covering and freezing until I am ready to make more.

I finally got the link back to the recipe to work up there, also.

All in all, I am pleased with this recipe. If anyone in blogland makes this recipe, let me know how it turns out for you.

Thanks for stopping by,

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.