Saturday, June 25, 2011

Bird Pillow from Repurposed Curtains


Good Saturday morning to you. It's been a busy week here with stuff other than sewing, you know - life stuff. So I've been sticking to quickie projects, and finishing up projects that I have lying around the studio. Which is a good thing, really.

Last night I pulled out a pillow that I had painted, and still needed to be sewn. A while back I was playing with a pair of old linen curtains that I had used to stage our rental house. They were inexpensive - probably from Tar-jay, my favorite boutique. Or perhaps Tuesday am, another place I like to forage. Anyhow, the fabric is linen, or some blend of linen, and has a nice drape. It is a flaxy, beige-ish color that I really like. I washed, dried and ironed them, and they came out very nice.

My pillow project was inspired by Jessica from Running With Scissors..

http://projectsbyjess.blogspot.com/2010/09/bird-pillow-cover-tutorial.html


(The link isn't working for me, but you can find her tutorial at: projectsbyjess.blogspot.com. Search for "Bird Pillow Tutorial") Her version is beautiful, you must see it!

I loved her creation, and she offered up her template, so I downloaded it for my pillow. Jessica used the template as a stencil. I proceeded a little differently, however. I traced the template with transfer pencil, then ironed the image onto my pillow front piece. Then I used fabric paint to paint the image.

While the paint was drying, I put a lapped concealed zipper into the back piece, because I wanted to be able to change out the pillow inside. I made this specifically to fit a small, super fluffy, down bed pillow.

That was the extent of my progress until last night. I felt the front fabric needed a little reinforcement, so I interfaced it with collar and cuff interfacing. Then I pulled out my scrap bin and cut out a couple birds, and interfaced them. Lauren added the wings for me. I also added a strip of braid to the front, recycled from a duvet cover that was irreparably damaged by a sweet little Tasmanian devil nephew. (I salvaged a bunch of this trim, the silver lining.)

I used a product I've mentioned before - Sealah Tape. I truly love this stuff. I attached the birds, wings, and braid with the Selah tape, then gave it a quick press. I topstitched the birds and braid, then added the fringe trim to the outside edges. Sewed the front and back pieces together, and called it a pillow.

I think my pics are a little blurry. I am still experimenting to find the right combo to size the pictures correctly to post here. I wasn't so successful on my last post. Also, I've been playing with posting from my iPad. It's doable, but easier with my laptop.

When I was taking pics last night, I was trying to take advantage of the fading light in the music room, so I propped the pillow on the piano. Ironically, yesterday morning I was playing "Let Me Be Your Wings", so that was the music on the piano next to the pillow in the pictures below. (I confess, I have a thing for Barry Manilow's music.)

I love birds, and have several in the decor scattered about the house. Thanks, Jessica, for the idea and template. Jessica's blog is great, and she is so creative. Pay her a visit!



Thanks for stopping by,

Andrea
p.s. I linked to Karen's Sew Darn Crafty Party!

sew many ways

2 comments:

  1. Your pillow looks great. I love birds too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pillow and kudos for doing it with recycled material..........nice work

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.