Monday, June 20, 2011

Coconut Shrimp & Dipping Sauce

Do you plan your weekly menus in advance? I don't. I've tried, but honestly, I'm a fly by the seat of my pants kind of gal. This afternoon, after getting in a really good workout with my daughter and a nap afterwards, she asked for coconut shrimp for dinner. Sounded good to me, and as luck would have it, I had a bag of jumbo shrimp in the freezer. Now, I love me some coconut shrimp, but I especially love a sweet & spicy dipping sauce to accompany the shrimp. Since today was all work - no sew, I thought I'd share our recipe. Warning, I don't really measure, I just eyeball, so all measurements are approximate.

For the shrimp: Preheat oven 400*

1) whip some egg whites (or whole eggs are ok too) - 2 or 3 will do
2) I keep dry unsweetened flake coconut in the house, so to sweeten it I added powdered sugar to taste and mixed well. Put the coconut in a flat dish.
3) Mix together in another flat dish:
About 6 TBLSP flour or cornstarch (I used the latter as I am still out of flour.)
A dash or two of cayenne pepper, to your liking.
A dash of salt.

Prepare a baking pan or cookie sheet - cover with foil and coat with olive oil or spray, your preference.

Butterfly the shrimp - mine had been frozen so had to defrost. I used the cooked ones, tails on. Clean yours if not purchased cleaned. I let them dry on paper towels.

Hold shrimp by tails, dip in egg, dredge in flour mix, then in sweetened coconut. Put on your greased baking sheet standing on the butterflied meaty part with tails in the air. Pop in the oven. Mine cooked for about 15 minutes, turned baking sheet halfway. I cooked them until they were getting nicely browned on top.

DIPPING SAUCE:

If you are like my daughter, just use ketchup. Doesn't sound so good? Then try this recipe!

Put the following in a saucepan:

Jam, whatever you've got in the fridge. I used 2 tsp strawberry.
Chopped up pineapple, I used fresh, maybe a handful small chop. I'm sure canned is fine too.
Rice vinegar, the sweet kind. About 2 TBLSP
Honey, about 3 TBLSP
Asian pepper sauce, like the sirachi kind, or whatever 'heat' you've got. I used a tsp.

Let that come to a nice boil, stirring. Then add a mixture of 1 tsp cornstarch and a few TBLSP cold water to the bubbling sauce. Stir and cook a minute or so more as it thickens.

Serve along side your shrimp.

We had this with rice and red beans, salad, fresh corn, leftover greens, and fresh pineapple.

This was so good, the shrimp were tender, and the sauce was amazing. There were leftovers, so we are going to see how they reheat for breakfast.

My hubby's review: best coconut shrimp and sauce he has ever had. Trust me, he's honest. And I am making myself hungry all over again.

Let me know if you decide to try the recipe. I'd love to know how you like it.

Have a wonderful evening,

Andrea

Ps, sorry no pictures. They were really quite pretty, nice enough for company, but I forgot to snap a picture. There's always next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.