Monday, July 25, 2011

It's a Wrap

Ok, so I've put some distance between me and the darts, and I've calmed down.  It was a great weekend with two separate birthday parties - one for one of my closest GF's who turned the big 5-0.  I'm trailing her, and not by a whole lot.  Anyway, I did some cleaning and organizing this weekend, and I am ready to start fresh on a new project.

I have been wanting to make a wrap dress for a while.  I even have the fabric for it, which will carry me well into the fall season because of the great fall colors.  Fall here doesn't mean coolish days - it just means you begin to wonder if it's ever going to cool off.

The fabric on the bottom right is the fabric slated to turn into a wrap dress.  I have been holding on to Butterick 5593 for a while, looking at it, reading lots of reviews, etc.   Debbie Cook has done at least 2 or 3 successful iterations of this that look awesome on her, here, and here are a couple.  But given the trouble I have fittin' the girls and my narrow back,  I was looking for something with more seam lines or pleats to provide extra fitting opportunities for the bust.

Enter Vogue 8646.  With only 3 reviews on PR, it's not going to be voted most popular, and each sewist had minor fit challenges.  I have read their reviews, and hopefully learned from their issues.  This pattern has a D cup pattern, which already puts it a little closer to the ballpark for me.  Next, it has front shoulder pleats, and without yet cracking the envelope, I am seeing a good opportunity to expand things there.  In my head, at least, it'll help.  Also, 8646 has upper back darts and back waistline darts, all good stuff for moi.

I have convinced myself that 8646 is the winner, and I can't wait to start the fitting process.  But right now I've got to run, I am supposed to be meeting the Mr. in 10 minutes and I haven't left the house yet.  :)

Hope your Monday is marvelous!  Thanks for stopping in today.

Until later,

Andrea

EDITED 7/28/11 to correct Vogue pattern numbers. A

2 comments:

  1. I love that wrap dress and need to go down to JoAnn's for a closer look. Do you have pattern numbers memorized???Know how to sew but, sooo anal about the little things(like darts) that it takes me a whole season to get 1 dress done. The wine was a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hobbit,
    The one I plan to make is Vogue 8646. I see I mixed up my numbers up there in the post. It is a very easy pattern - you should give it a go. Let me know if you do, I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.