Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fruit Pizza: A Quick & Easy Summer Dessert

All the summer fruit in the market right now is just fabulous. Of course, not too much is local for us right now, so we settle for fruit brought in from other areas. I even picked up some tangelos from Austrailia today!

My cart was loaded with fruit - sublimely sweet and ripe nectarines, bananas, strawberries, mango, and apples. The apples are organic from New Zealand. Fruit from all over!

My sweet tooth was nagging at me today, and I knew I wanted to do something for dessert after dinner that was easy and quick, mainly because I wanted to get back to my sewing project of the moment. I also wanted something not too crazy calorie wise.

While I was picking up yogurt, I noticed the refrigerated crescent rolls, of a brand I like called Immaculate. I immediately knew I'd make a fruit pizza, so I grabbed a package of neufchâtel cheese. (Ricotta cheese and cottage cheese can also be used if you've got it on hand.





FRUIT PIZZA RECIPE

Ingredients:

1 pkg refrigerated crescent rolls, any brand will do
Variety of fruits, sliced. Avoid melons, they're too watery.
Approximately 6 ounces cream cheese or neufchâtel cheese (see above for substitutes)
Powdered sugar to taste. I used ~ 1/2 cup unsifted.
2 TBLSP OJ
2 TSP pure vanilla extract
Milk, ~ 2 TBLSP or so.

You'll see in my picture that I made mine small and round. I formed it on parchment and baked it on my preheated round stone, parchment and all. Easy and less cleanup. If I were making this for company or to bring to a party, I'd use an aluminum pizza pan for better presentation. We really just threw ours together.

So you open your crescent rolls and lay them out all touching in the desired shape, be it rectangular or circular. Pat all the seams closed. Pop in the 350* preheated oven and bake until golden. When done, allow to cool to room temp.

While the crust is baking, slice your fruits. Put lemon juice on banana slices if you are using them. Set aside.

Mix all remaining ingredients with a mixer, adding milk slowly to make mixture easily spreadable.

Spread mixture on cooled crust, as you would a pizza. Arrange fruit on top as desired. This can be a gorgeous presentation with a variety of colorful fruits. I love using kiwi and a variety of berries. The nectarines were amazing on this tonight, just luscious.


This is a recipe that's been around for what seems like forever. I'm not sure of the source - perhaps one of the companies that manufacture crescent rolls?

Have you made a fruit pizza before? I had forgotten about this little delight until I saw the crescent rolls at he market today!

What is your favorite summer dessert? I think growing up in Pennsylvania, it was strawberry shortcake, as summer was berry season and we did lots of pickin' and puttin' up berries.

Fruit Pizza is definitely an old favorite!

Tomorrow I hope to have a completed sewing project to talk about - one with turtles. ;)

Until later,


Andrea



I linked up to Karen's 'Sew Darn Crafty' Party at  SEW MANY WAYS.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.