Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Still Here, and What I Learned This Week.

I have not fallen off the face of the earth, promise.  It has been a busy week, with school starting and such.  I last posted about the FNSI at Handmade by Heidi, and had my sewing plans all lined up.  However, we were pleasantly surprised by an out of town visitor, namely, my hubby's brother.  We had a great visit, and loved that he popped in for a quick visit.

Instead of the FNSI happening in my studio, the Saturday Morning Sew In happened, nice and early while the crickets were still chirping, and the dog assistant was wondering why I had risen so early to play.  I have yet to take pics, as my model has been uncooperative, and some the results have been worn and are in the laundry.  I will post pics soon.  I ended up sewing a no-pattern apron and a couple no pattern skirts for DD.  She likes to wear skirts to school in this blasted heat and humidity.

For one of the skirts, she was not crazy about the feel of the fabric against her skin, (a beautiful, nice weight, fluid rayon), so I took it apart and underlined it with Bemberg Ambiance rayon lining.  It made for a lovely skirt that way, and feels so good next to the skin.  It has been a very long time since I underlined anything, but I may be addicted.  I made a second skirt with cheap rayon from Hancock which is a bit see-through, and used the same fabric to underline it. It worked fabulously.  For that one, I made a 'paper-bag' style waist.

I learned something while making these skirts for my daughter.  She is 5'2", fairly short-waisted, and curvy with a muscular high hip.  She's got a bedonkedonk and chest like her mama.  She also has a sway back, with a forward- tilted pelvis, causing her abdomen to protrude a little, just enough to completely throw off the hemline of her skirts.  I have observed that while wearing an empire style dress, the skirt part lays nicely, with an even hem.  However, with skirts, even RTW skirts, the hem is always lower in the front than the back by a noticeable amount.

To remedy this problem, I used to make the hem longer in the back, because I was used to hemming her uniform skirts and other RTW skirts this way.  Somewhere I read about a different method - perhaps in FFRP, possibly on another blog - can't remember where, but it worked well.  Basically, I tied a piece of elastic around her waist where the skirt is to be worn.  Then she put the skirt on, prior to any waistband application (I was using a simple elastic waistband), and put the skirt under the elastic.  I then pulled up the top of the skirt until the hemline was even all around.  There was an uneven amount of fabric ABOVE the elastic - much more in the front, on account of her tilted pelvis.  Eureka!  I then used chalk to mark a line at the bottom of the elastic.  Then I trimmed the top of the skirt above the mark, leaving an appropriate and even amount all around, and made the elastic casing.

The technique was so simple, and the skirt I made this was fits like a charm, with a nice, even hem.  I wish I had taken some pictures of this process.  If I find the source where I read this, I will post it here.

In non-sewing news, we also had our cooking lesson and Girl's Night In that I posted about here.  My friend Denise chose to learn to make Lasagna, so Lasagna we made - two pans of it.  The food was incredible, as was the company.  Hubby disappeared upstairs to the game room while we had an excellent evening full of laughter with a great meal.  Denise brought a very large pan of Lasagna home to have Sunday Dinner with her entire family - husband & kids, her parents, and her 98 year old grandmother.  Her grandmother was moved to tears that Denise had made a meal for the family after all these years of not venturing into the kitchen.  I would say that Lesson #1 was a big success, and we are already planning Lesson #2.

And with that, I will leave you with a couple of parting shots:
My beer glass-morning commute-coffee cup cozy.

Ready for action.


I am headed out to do a little shopping this morning, mostly for the house.

Enjoy your day,

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.