Saturday, September 10, 2011

Indisposed

Lately, it feels as though every form of contagion that has drifted my way has attacked me with vigor. Today my latest bout brought to mind this poem from one of my daughter's favorite childhood books.

SICK

by Shel Silverstein

"I cannot go to school today,"
Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more--that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut--my eyes are blue--
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke--
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb.
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is--what?
What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is. . .Saturday?
G'bye, I'm going out to play!"



I turned the corner last night, and spent much of the day sleeping today. I plan to do a little blog reading while sipping coke and nibbling on saltines, then perhaps watch a movie or two.

My family has been so sweet and caring. The husband went to the store at 6am today to buy coke, ginger ale, and bread for toast, then brought me up a breakfast tray with my first (and only) cup of coffee in two days. Crystal sat by my bed, lying her little head on the edge of the bed and looking up at me, in that sweet way that dogs have perfected to melt their people's hearts. For her loyalty, she was rewarded with bits of toast.

I haven't been downstairs since Thursday evening, but had to chuckle earlier today when I heard my husband below say to my daughter, "Come on, let's get this place in some sort of order." Much clanging of dishes and loudness and silliness ensued thereafter, with some action flick blaring on the TV. Two peas in a pod, those two are, always a source of entertainment.

The husband slow smoked a pork shoulder on the Big Green Egg today, and while the homey scents wafting upstairs are tantalizing, I cannot partake. It is always reassuring, though, to see how independent the two of them are when the need arises.

I have been thinking that perhaps I should take up some hand craft like crochet or needlepoint. I used to cross-stitch and do needlepoint back in the day - I learned it in home-ec freshman year of high school. Mom taught me to knit when I was very young, but I never learned to crochet. Do any of you crochet? Seems like it would be nice to have something to do to keep my hands busy during down times, and while watching movies.

Hoping that you are all having a wonderful, healthy weekend!

I'll be back in the saddle again soon, just in time for a new fabric order to arrive, methinks!

Until then,

Andrea

1 comment:

  1. Hope you are feeling better. New fabric well always make you feel better!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.