Saturday, December 3, 2011

Vogue 8323

I can't believe it is December. It's been such a crazy busy week so all I've done is look at my new Style Arc patterns and stroke my new fabrics from Emma One Sock. While doing the laundry, I came across this top and realized that I hadn't blogged about or reviewed it. So here it is.



  Vogue 8323, a shoulder princess knit top pattern,  has been fairly popular, and well reviewed on PR.  I made View A with View C long sleeves.   Above is a front and back view on Josephine. I am not thrilled with the result, partly because of the pattern, partly because of my fabric choice, a cream Ponte from Hancock's. It's a poly-rayon-lycra blend, heavy on the poly. It's a great fabric, just not for this pattern.

I cut a 14, then did a FBA, adding in a full 6" to the front, evenly distributed between the two front pattern pieces on each side. This is 3" shy of my usual FBA, because I erroneously thought there would be enough stretch to account for the 3". Negative ease, if you will. There is a reason Ponte is classified as a "stable knit". Duh. So, for starters, there is too much pull across the bust in front. The side seam is perfectly straight, but you can see the distortion in the front princess seams and bust area. Also, the shoulders are too big - my fault. Should have done a narrow shoulder adjustment. The sleeves fit nicely, but really need more room for movement in *this* fabric. They would be fine in a stretchier knit.

So onto the pattern issue I am not loving. I do not like the way the back neck fits and comes around to the front. It might be OK in a fabric with more stretch and better drape, but the back neck is so high, I think it would just scrunch down and affect the way the front lies. I will have to make a point to read some reviews to see how other folks handled this feature.

I took some photos in the daylight, and did my best to show some of the issues.

The inside back neck.  As a rule, I don't like unattached facings. If I make this again, I would change how this is done.

High neck on Josephine.  She isn't wearing her stuffed bra here, so she is slightly smaller than me in the bust..

Neck view on me.

You know you're old when you take pics of yourself with your head tilted back looking through the 'reader' portion of your glasses.  See where the shoulder is too big? 

Shoulder too big, back neck lays funny.

Besides a shot of my ear and freckles, a tilted back shot.  

Sitting view.  

I have a hard time getting back shots.




I do intend to use this pattern again, but most likely a different view and in a better fabric choice. The silver lining is that DD likes it and it fits her better. Her shoulders are a smidgen wider than mine and a different shape, and the bust is just fine on her.


On a sad note, it looks like the hard drive in my beloved MacBook Pro is taking it's last agonal breaths. It's been making an ugly noise for some time, so I was warned. It's all backed up, so that's all ok. It's just a bummer. I love my MBP!

It's been a non-sewing weekend, but we managed to get some family pictures taken this weekend. Maybe I can squeeze some sewing in tomorrow, Style-Arc style!

3 comments:

  1. The hard drive on your macbookpro can be replaced, I did mine from 120 gig to 500 and then sold the 5 year old a year later for $500. There are videos on how to do it at Macmall.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, Maureen. My MBP is about that same age. I would love to replace the HD rather than buy a new one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the sweater! I made this one quite a long time ago and now I need to go find that pattern again! Sorry you had so many issues with it. At least your daughter can get some use out of it!

    Thanks for your nice comments on my blog! By the way, I had to make a rush visit over to Queens Fabric before my vacation! Gosh I love her fabric, but it sure is pricey!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.