Sunday, January 29, 2012

Linda Pants

Finally at long last, and with much excitement, I was able to whip out a pair of Style Arc's Linda Pants. Style Arc's patterns have received great reviews on Pattern Review, and several sewists have made up Linda Pants that look great on them.

I've had the fabric (a stretch Bengaline from JA) laid out on my cutting table for longer than I care to admit. I decided that I would throw common sense to the wind and cut and sew the pants right out of the package. These pants seem to fit so many without alterations.

After sewing them up today, before putting of the waistband, I tried them on because I was anticipating that they would be slightly big in the waist and might need a little tweaking. Hah! I could barely get the freaking pants on my body, and when I did, could barely get them off! Holy smokes am I bummed! My sewing time is so limited lately and I spend it sewing a garment that doesn't fit.

The Linda Pant is a great pant pattern. I wish I'd chosen the size better, especially since I can't just run out and get a different size. Size wise, I thought I had chosen well. In fact, according to the measurement chart on Style Arc's website, I did choose correctly by the hip measurement. The waist measurement for that same size is larger than my own, which is why I thought I'd need to take it in. There are no finished garment measurements listed, but according to SA's measurement chart and a quick flat pattern measurement, it appears that there is a half inch of ease at the hip of this pattern. Perhaps the 'Stretch Bengaline' available here does not have the same stretch as what is available in Australia. Regardless of why these are too small, I'll need to do some alterations to the pattern before making them again.

So what to do with a too small pair of slacks? The fabric is quite nice and has a lovely drape, and I would hate seeing them go to waste. One of my girlfriends is coming over next weekend, and I'm thinking they will fit her well. If so, I'll attach the waistband, hem them, and take pictures. For now, I'll just have to leave you with this:


Yesterday we drove thirty minutes for the best solution to a hectic week - Grouper sandwiches and a long walk on the beach. Florida is beautiful this time of year.


Have a great week!


Andrea

8 comments:

  1. I am eager to give these a try but I think the sizing might be a challenge for my body as well. I was lucky enough to try on a pair made by a friend this weekend and I was surprised at how much extra crotch depth I needed. I'm now sort of wondering about ordering them for myself. Hope you get to work out the kinks. I'll be heading back to FL on Tuesday and am eager to return to the lovely sun. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see them when you do! The crotch shape on these seem a little different on these, which may be why they fit so many women so well.

      Delete
  2. Awww darnit; that's so disappointing! I compared the stretch in the fabrics I used (I've made 2 pair) to the stretch on the sample that comes with, & tried to match the stretch as closely as possible. They are a fairly snug fit, but a good one. Hope you get it figured out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is disappointing! I just hope they fit my friend so all is not lost.
      Funny thing is, I had emailed Chloe my measurements, and bought the size she recommended. That makes me think it's the fabric. The stretch must not be enough. Live and learn!

      Delete
  3. Bummer! That is so frustrating. Hopefully they will fit your friend and all your work won't be for naught. :) You've got me all curious about this pattern now though, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, it is a bummer, but I will have a do-over, lol. I emailed Chloe for the finished garment measurements of the next size up, since this ino is not available on the site. She sent the measurements, and it seems the next size up would be more appropriate. Live and Learn!

      Delete
  4. I just hate when you work so hard for something that just doesn't fit! That's why so many women quilt instead of sewing clothing. I am glad to hear you are going to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True, Janlynn, but I should know better to sew first and measure second. Typically I measure very thoroughly before cutting fabric. This time I threw caution to the wind....my bad!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.