Saturday, February 25, 2012

Serger Maintenance

Open and ready for cleaning.
For the past two weeks, a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad virus has invaded my home and family. One by one. And you know how it goes - Mom takes care of everyone, then ends up sick.

Right before the plague came, I had started a studio reorganization, so things in there aren't quite settled yet.

As a result, studio time has been limited. However, I've been working, albeit slowly, on a couple things that I hopefully can finish today, and will show you later.

In the meantime, one of the home dec fabrics I have been using recently creates a lot of fuzz and dust in my serger, so I pulled out my trusty little vacuum kit to clean her out, and thought I'd share.

**As always, click on the pics to enlarge.

Small brush attachment.  Little brush on the desk to the left  came with my serger.  

Complete kit.  Well packaged, well made components.

The kit comes in a sturdy little case.



This handy dandy little kit came into my possession one day while I was at the local vacuum store. I love Miele vacuums, and 'needed' a second one for the downstairs. We have a Mile canister we keep upstairs, and that day I bought an upright for down. I spied this little kit when I was chatting with the salesman, and knew it would be perfect for my serger. The knife creates a lot of fuzz when it cuts the fabric, and my regular vac tools were to large to be of use.

Here's the catch, though. The kit was pretty pricey at the vac store. I got the owner to throw it in gratis, as I am a good and frequent customer (they sell lots of other products and do maintenance also).  A quick Google search shows many similar kits can be found online at a reasonable price. Even if I had to fork over the $$$ for it, it would be money well spent.

This little kit gets into *most* of my serger's nooks and crannies. For extra tight spots, I use a tiny little brush to encourage the fuzzies toward the vacuum nozzle. I should do this after every project, but in reality, I clean the serger after particularly fuzzy projects, and then just when it's looking like it needs some love.

The Evolve is seen at least once a year for regular technician maintenance, also.  I am fortunate to have a Babylock dealer in my part of town. Truth be told, machine maintenance is not my favorite task, nor is lugging my serger to the shop.  Necessary, though!

How often do you perform or have maintenance performed on your serger?

I just LOVE my serger.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea-I shall look out for one of these as my Janome gets used on fluffies a lot. Brilliant! Do you think it would also suck the lurgies out of the family? Probably not :o)) - I hope you are all on the mend.

    I am starting looking at dress forms and found you via a google search, I think. Lord can't remember cos have so many tabs open!! Anyway, thanks for posting about your new 'you' - I'm hoping to be able to afford something like this, assuming its not too horrendous shipping to NZ!!

    Now I shall have a gander at your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great little tool for cleaning out the nooks and crannies! I service my sewing machine and my overlocker myself about once a month.
    Thank you so much for your kind comment on my dress.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.