Friday, April 20, 2012

Continuing on The Fitting Journey

Boy am I glad the weekend is here, how about you? The week was a busy one, and I've only managed to eek out a few minutes each night to continue my work on fitting. Progress has been made, however, and for that I am happy.

I don't have time tonight to post about the process, but I will do that soon. Tonight I just want to post a few pics of muslin number two, and make a few observations.






Just some quickie cell phone pictures. Any thoughts on the fit so far?

My thoughts are that I'm much closer, but still need more tweaking. See those lines on the front that seem to start in the center below the bust, curve under the bust and point towards the armscye? I'm thinking that the side front piece doesn't have enough room for the boobage, hence the pulling and lines. Look at the picture of the armscye. I think I need more fabric and less skin there. Also, I am thinking the princess seam needs to be moved slightly outward toward the arm. Finally, the shoulders may be a little wide, which is not surprising, since I began a size greater than my usual.

That's all for tonight. Let me know in the comments if you see something I'm missing. ;-)

Tomorrow morning I am {hopefully} going blueberry picking with a friend. There is an organic blueberry farm about 45 minutes away that is open for u-pick this weekend. I'm hoping the berries are good - the blueberries (and growers) have really taken a hit this year because the weather was not optimal for a great crop. We are supposed to be getting some really nasty weather this weekend, so our plans may not materialize - in which case, you can find me in the studio, sewing my heart out. What better to do on a rainy day?


As I type, the rain has just started, good and heavy. We really need the rain, so no complaints here!

Have a wonderful weekend,


Andrea

6 comments:

  1. I want you to know that you are scaring me. WHEN my weight gets to a healthy number I will start learning how to fit this body. No point now, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Elle, fitting my girls is a scary process!

      Delete
  2. Hi Andrea! I just found your blog via ElleC's blog. Great work on your shirt muslin so far. Some things I notice:
    1. Folds at the back armscyes. Did you adjust the angle of the shoulder seams, to compensate for your sloped shoulders? If yes, the gaping armscye might be caused by a rounded upper back. I have this fitting issue, and correct the problem by slitting the upper back horizontally, making an elongated diamond shape insert. This allows for more fabric to go over my "hump".
    2. As you mentioned, the shoulders are definitely too wide. It's hard to tell from these photos, but it looks like the shoulder seam might need to angle forward, in order to end at the top of your arm. Perhaps I'm seeing that because of the way you're holding your arm back in the photo.
    3. The front princess seams do need to be moved toward the sides. They should pass 1/2" to 1" outside the bustpoints.
    4. I have no idea how to accomplish it, but your girls do need more breathing room.
    I hope I haven't said too much, and I hope I've been helpful. Good luck as you proceed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dixie, I love your blog. Thanks for your wonderful evaluation - it is so helpful. I am about to put up a new post where I will address all the points.

      Delete
  3. Hey there Ms. Andrea! The fit is looking great so far and I agree with you on the pull lines, you do need to adjust in the armsynce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Myra! Thank you - I believe I have figured out what was needed to tweak the bust and armscye fit, which I will post here in a few minutes.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.