Saturday, April 7, 2012

Kwik Sew 3176 - A Summer Robe for Lena

Lena's 'duster' has been on my ironing board all week, just waiting for a zipper. Thursday night after dinner I was able to finish it, now I've got to get it in the mail
.
KS 3176 has two views, one short and one long. I made view A, the long view with 3/4 length sleeves. The robe features dolman sleeves and a jewel neckline. It's designed with buttons, but I put in a zipper as requested. It is sized XS - XL. The recipient needs more like a 2X, but you know how generous the ease is on KS patterns, so after some flat pattern measuring (KS is kind enough to print those on the pattern), I just had to add a couple inches.
The hubby was kind enough to take pictures for me ~
As you can see, it's quite generous in size. It looks like I'm hiding twins under the robe in this next picture, but don't get excited - not possible!
See that recliner?  Last year's Anniversary present for the Man Cave.

Goofing around....




This is a simple, well drafted pattern - not one hiccup. It is a no-frills design with two large font pockets. It calls for a contrast facing - not really necessary, but a nice touch. I used a white poly-cotton lightweight blend from stash, interfaced with Pro Woven from Pam Erny, also from stash. The main fabric is a coral, plaid seersucker that I bought several months ago at Hancock's specifically for Lena's duster. I happened to notice last weekend it is still in stock. The seersucker is very lightweight, so I liked the extra structure the contrast facing gave the robe front.



The only changes I made were to cut the back on the fold - back seam totally unnecessary here, and I added 1 inch at that fold, for a total of 2 inches added to the back piece. I added to the back neck facing in the same manner. The front basically got almost the same increase in size with zipper placement - no overlap for buttons.

I chose not to embellish this version, as Lena lives in Pennsylvania and this is essentially a test garment. If this fits well and she likes the style, I have plans for another in a couple of really fun fabrics. I will play around with piping and contrast pockets on that version.

The only thing I'm not terribly sure about is the type of zipper.  I used a robe zipper - Hancock's had exactly 3 in stock, white, thankfully.  Robe zippers do not separate completely at the bottom.  In some ways, I think this is better, as Lena is 86 and has a little OA in her hands - no fiddling trying to connect the zipper.  But on the other hand, I am not sure if she wants to put it on over her head, or more like you put on a coat.  I will just have to wait and see, then I will know for the next one.

I really like this robe pattern, and I think I will be making it again for me in the shorter version with short sleeves in a lightweight terry.  It will be great for summer.

First fabric purchase of 2012...

On the evening of April 3rd, I placed an order from Fabric.com - it was at my door when we got home from dinner two nights later!  I love that fast service. Mostly it was basics.  I bought a piece of Sophia knit in navy to make another pair of Style Arc's Sailor Sue pants - I've been living in my first pair, and they traveled with me on our recent trip up north. I really wanted Ponte, but haven't been able to find it in navy.  The piece I have is so nice, but was not enough - I was bummed.  :(  I've heard good things about the Sophia knit.  It is a bit thinner than my Ponte, but I will give it a go.

New fabric.  :)
 Three different 'navy' fabrics.  The top is the Sophia, and looks to me 'IRL' to be navy.  On the bottom are a batiste and a broadcloth, both labeled navy.  They look royal blue and an almost purple to me.  Anyhow, those two I picked up for lining use.



A sweet voile - no intended use yet, just loved it!  Any suggestions?
I placed another fabric order from Fabric Mart last night, this time all goodies - no basics.  I received the Julie's picks mailer yesterday, and I really liked some of the fabrics.  Last month, not so much.

Next up on the sewing front - I'm feeling a cotton blouse, shoulder princess seams. I know I've got such a pattern in the stash. One of my sewing goals is to perfect a blouse pattern for myself. Now to carve out the time. ;)

.  


Happy Easter,Passover, and Spring! I hope it's lovely in your part of the world.  


Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.