Tuesday, July 24, 2012

An Alteration I Don't Mind

Remember this skirt?


This is Burda 7208 that I recently made.  The waistband I used was bare wide elastic with a small ruffle edge for sewing it to the fabric.  I hadn't worn the skirt because the site of attachment left a ridge that bothered me.  Plus, the skirt itself was just too big - I had made a large size, gathered up at the waist, and the result felt like too much fabric.  

I took off the waistband, and removed 12" of width!  Then I serged 1" elastic to the wrong side of the waistband, stretching the elastic to fit the skirt.  Next, I folded that to the inside, and straight stitched it down at the side seams (in the ditch) to tack it down, and placed a few other tacks at strategic spots.  Not sure if this method has a name (anyone know?), but I will use this method again.  It is so comfortable, and it lies flat and smooth under my top.  Big improvement.

The thing that made me not mind this alteration is the fact that my family and I have been working out together regularly and 'eating healthy'.  This has personally resulted in 14 pounds of weight loss, a decrease of one whole size+ in RTW clothes, and being able to see my muscles.  I'm pleased with the progress, however, the girls haven't shrunk a bit. Yet.  

The top I made from this same pattern - Burda 7208 - is now too big, says the daughter.  It got a 'no' vote as we were getting ready to go to dinner and a movie Saturday night. I wore the outfit as above, except with flats. 

How do you feel about alterations?  Normally I loathe them, but making clothes smaller sure. feels. good!  

Do you:
a) alter your clothes when needed
b) pay to have them altered (guilty:-/)
c) give items away rather than alter them
d) let your unaltered clothes languish in the back of the closet

I'm guilty of b, c, and d, but I'm now facing a lot of clothes that need altering, so.... maybe I'll just make new clothes!  

Enjoy your week,

Andrea


13 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is a great way to alter! I admit, my poor unaltered clothes too often get forgotten. I'd much rather make something new!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! I feel the same way. This one was just too new to let languish!

      Delete
  2. Super effort on the weight loss! As for altering clothes, they are either in the back of the closet, or they are on 'that dreaded pile'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judith! Oh, that pile....

      Delete
  3. If the alterations are worth the time, meaning I love the piece or fabric or both, and it's not going to essentially be a complete remake, I alter. Otherwise, I give them to my sister (bigger than me) or donate or just trash. Congrats on the weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! It would make me feel better to have a sister to give them to - I bet she appreciates the clothes, you've made so many great things.

      Delete
  4. I think this method should be called "The Andrea Method". There you are famous. How unfair that the twins haven't gotten smaller, but at least the rest of you has. I seem to lose almost evenly throughout the torso. My face stays fat for a while 8-(.

    The answers to your highly scientific survey are:

    A-never
    B-if I love the item AND it was expensive, so not often
    C-yes-usually
    D-used to, now they are leaving the house for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle,
      It feels good to get rid of the old too big clothes, doesn't it?

      Delete
  5. I really cute outfit Andrea!m I like those cute yellow sandals with it too! I have to say I disagree that the girls not reducing is a sad thing...women pay good money for them! LOL!

    Also, I HATE ALTERATIONS!! Did I say that loud enough? With that said, if it's something I really, really like, I may fix it, but most times, it get chucked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra,
      If I could donate some of these, I would, LOl. Good gracious, I got more than my share.
      Let's say that together: I HATE ALTERATIONS! That's why it felt so good to get this done and wearable.

      Delete
  6. Sorry about the typos,,,I swear I've not been drinking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you are, don't forget to invite the rest of us! ;-)

      Delete
  7. Although I am a regular reader I am no great shakes with the sewing machine.I thrift a lot of my clothes so....when something needs to be altered I just return it to be re-thrifted.I do have a fair amount of fabric and patterns but I can't seem to make anything I would wear. This from someone who made her own clothes in school and made so much baby clothes for my children that I could have opened a shop.Oh....I just wanted to say "You look fabulous darling" Whatever you're doing don't stop.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.