Thursday, August 16, 2012

3 Questions

1)  Who is your toughest critic?

2)  What is your absolute favorite knit skirt pattern?

3)  Don't you hate paying good money for poorly constructed clothing?


1) My toughest critic, by far, is my lovely daughter.  The good thing is, I know she won't let me leave the house looking ridiculous.  The girl does not mince words.  Case in point:  Last month before we went on our beach vacation, I sewed up McCall's 6559, the oh so popular maxi tank dress.  I thought it would be a good dress for the beach, going out to dinner, over the bathing suit, whatever.  I made it in a green knit, that wasn't my best color, but I had a lot of yardage.  So I looked at this as a muslin, 'cause I wasn't sure this dress was going to work on my bod.  Well, it didn't work on my bod.  

Source:  McCallPattern.com

Fast forward to post vacation.  One night after showering I throw this dress on for the heck of it, thinking I can wear it as a nightgown, if nothing else.  Then I went around to the bathrooms gathering dirty towels to wash.  I walked in the bathroom where DD was showering, and she said  yelled from inside the shower, "Oh no, Mom, take that thing off and burn it!  Burn it now!!"  Yeah, so M6559 is a no-go for me.

No pictures of me wearing this were taken.  

2)  I ask this skirt question because I want to make a black knit skirt this week, casual, easy, not a pencil skirt.  I'm eyeing the Bobbie Bask by Style Arc, but that will take too long to get here.  If I can't find one in my stash I may have to just copy one from my closet.  Suggestions?

Source: StyleArc.com


3)  Ugh.  This pains me.


Isn't this a pretty little blouse?  Nice lace panel set into the back.  DD loved it, we picked it up this week at Nordstrom's, in the Junior's Department.  I should have looked at it closer.


The top is made of polyester.  The label said Dry Clean Only.  Yeah right.  I hand washed it.  It's still wet in this picture.


That's when I noticed the pockets.  Unfinished.  Jagged cuts. Fraying.  


I expect this from H & M, Target, yes.  Nordstrom's? No.  I am annoyed that I paid for this!  I know as a person who sews, you get this.  



Well that's all I've got for now.

Have a fantastic Friday!

Andrea

13 comments:

  1. Hehe, your daughter's comment did give me a good chuckle! At least she is honest, and you are so right, it is best to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope others chime in about their favourite knit skirt as I am on the look out too. The style arc one you picked is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must give KS3513 a try - quick and gratifying, nice skirt! I plan to order the SA skirt pattern also.

      Delete
  3. 1. Me. Unquestionably, me.
    2. The knit skirt that is getting worn most (a LOT, actually) is my combo Bobbie Bask/shams tablecloth skirt! Blogged about here: http://jillybejoyful.blogspot.com/2012/06/name-that-skirt.html BBask really is a great pattern!
    3. Not a worry anymore, since I am still sticking to my vow to not buy any RTW since I re-started sewing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Jilly, I used to be my own worst critic until DD filled in for me! I love your combo Bobbiesham skirt and your Bobbie Bask skirt too. Loving that you are venturing into skirts, they look great on you.

      Delete
  4. Your post reminded me of when I was a teenager, I was so hard on my Mom. I seriously wouldn't let her out of the house sometimes without changing her clothes. It got to the point that I bought almost all her clothes for her for a few years. Sometimes I wish I had a daughter to tell me when I am wearing clothes that look bad. Teenager girls don't hold back, do they? 8-)

    That top is a crime. Shame on you Nordstroms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they don't Elle, and that's part of what makes them so special!

      CRIME. Perfect word for that blouse. Crime.

      Delete
  5. Ouch! So sorry the maxi didn't work for you...as we discussed over lunch I was on the fence with it for me too! Love the color of the knit you used though! and I am my toughest critic!

    ...and I agree, Nordstrom should be ashame of themselves!!

    I think you could use Kwik Sew 3513 (http://kwiksew.mccall.com/k3513-products-20071.php?page_id=3039). It appears to be similar in style and you can run to Joann or Hancock to get the pattern! Good Luck and don't forget to take pictures of your skirt when you complete it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you Myra! Exactly what I was looking for.
      I see some green knit coming your way! I think you look great in our maxi, but I understand how you feel. We all look at ourselves with a critical eye.
      And yes, Nordstrom's should hang their heads in shame!

      Delete
  6. 1. I am my worst critic but if I miss something my roommate spots it.
    2. My favorite skirt is Pamela's Pattern for her pencil skirt. I have made it at least 6 times.
    3. I buy very few rtw but when I shop I m appalled with how poorly things are made. I occasionally find exceptions but then the price usually sends me off shaking my head.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I am my worst critic but if I miss something my roommate spots it.
    2. My favorite skirt is Pamela's Pattern for her pencil skirt. I have made it at least 6 times.
    3. I buy very few rtw but when I shop I m appalled with how poorly things are made. I occasionally find exceptions but then the price usually sends me off shaking my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, i have that pattern and have heard all good things about it. I need to make it!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.