Monday, November 19, 2012

Cosplay Sewing!

Hey there!  I hope it is going to be a wonderful week for everyone!  For my American readers, hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving with family and friends.



I know I haven't been around much lately, but there has been some sewing which I'll blog later.  Tonight I wanted to show you all what I spent Saturday doing with my girl.




First, for those of you not familiar with the term (probably most I'm guessing), let me define the word 'cosplay'.  Follow the link for the wikipedia page.  Cosplay is short for costume play.  There are conventions that people go to dressed as their favorite character.  Some costumes are incredibly intricate and involved.  

My daughter asked me to help her with her costume.  She gave me an animated picture, since her character is from a wecomic. DD made the chainsaw prop and horns, and bought the logo t-shirt.  I made the skirt, cummerbund, and large bow and tail.
 

Here is a basic sketch of what the skirt looks like:


We dug through the stash, and chose a red cotton knit and 2 1/2" wide black elastic for the waistband.  I drew up a pattern, cut the fabric, and did a few in-progress fittings.

For the bow, tail, and sash, we used a purple woven cotton, and Shirt-Crisp interfacing from Pam Erny's site.  It turned out to be the perfect amount of stiffness.

The black long sleeves were legs from black tights, to avoid wearing two shirts and being hot.

Here she is in her costume!




That's my beautiful girl!
Did I mention she made the horns?


Her character knits, and so does she.  My mom taught her one summer. 
The drapes in the left of the frame I made a few years ago.

Posing with her chainsaw.

Hard to see the detail of the skirt, but you can vaguely see the side sections in this picture.  


In other sewing news, I made the bodice to a dress for the fundraiser last weekend, but life got majorly in the way and I did not finish it in time.  It will be finished though, after Thanksgiving.  I have some sewing to do for the nieces and nephew kidlets coming for turkey!

It will be at least a week or two before I'm blogging again, so stay well, have a wonderful holiday if you're in the US, and I'll see you soon.  Thanks for stopping by!

Andrea











6 comments:

  1. What a brilliant costume!!! We absolutely loved seeing cosplay in Harajuku, Tokyo while we were there. Such attention to detail. I wish we had the tradition here. Such fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, this is so creative! You two make a great team...this costume is awesome! I love the poses as well, nice job by your DD! Mom did a fabulous job with the sewing too! HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you and your family too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra! Hope you had a wonderful holiday also.

      Delete
  3. Building do much more than a costume, beautiful memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.