Monday, November 26, 2012

Skirts for the Little Ones

Sewing for kids is fun and quick!  One day I was breezing through Hancock's and spotted a few bolts of super cute corduroy fabric that just HAD to come home with me.

Scottie Dogs!  How could I resist?


This is what the fabric became this weekend:




I was excited to find this plaid on grain and matchable at
the seams.


These are simple skirts with elastic waists - no frills, no pockets.  I just drafted up a skirt pattern in a jif.   The only difference between them is the red skirt has a smaller hem and is slightly shorter for the shorter of the girls.  I like the beefier hem better.  Hubby was kind enough to lend me his thigh to adjust  the elastic for the waists.  (His thigh measured the same as the girls' waists, oddly enough.)

The plaid fabric was originally intended for pants for the boy, but I had second thoughts and cut out a plain blue corduroy instead.  Those are in the 'soon to be sewn' pile.

The kidlet crew lives in another state, and we don't get to see them often enough.  It was great having them here for Thanksgiving (and they brought their parents, too)!

I have done a crapload of mending, made ever so much more enjoyable by my new sewing machine, the Babylock Crescendo.  I love it!

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving (or just a great weekend if you aren't in the US!) with friends or family, and of course got some sewing in!

Happy sewing,

Andrea



11 comments:

  1. I admired that corduroy at Hancock today, but did not succumb. Now I have to go back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, how funny, I was thinking of all the sewing you do for your kiddos when I made these!

      Delete
  2. These are adorable! I particularly like the black with white scotties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want that Scotty fabric!!!! What cute little skirts. So adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At a Hancock's near you - or let me know and I'll check mine o see if it's still in stock. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Oh how cute! I bet the lucky little ladies are going to be very happy too! You're too funny...your Hubbies thigh?? LOL!! Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving holiday! I sure hope we can get together before Christmas! Time is moving so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee-hee Myra, the hubby walked in the studio at just the right time! I was eyeing his thighs, but not for the reason he was thinking, lol...
      Yes, time is flying, but lets try to get together.

      Delete
  5. Super cute skirts! Isn't sewing for little ones so much fun?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, and yes it is fun! Many moons ago I sewed for my little sister (who is nowmid 30's), but because of career demands didn't get to sew much for my own girl when she was a wee one. Love the little kid sewing!

      Delete
  6. Such sweet skirts for the little ladies! Those fabrics are just too cool. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.