Thursday, December 27, 2012

Inspiration

Myra of Simple Inspirations kindly bestowed upon me a blog award, the "One Lovely Blog Award"!  She is the only sewing blogger whom I have met in person, and I tell you she is a gem, and makes the lovliest clothes that look beautiful on her.


  


There are some rules that go along with this award, one of which is to tell 7 things about yourself.  So, here goes.  Try to stay awake until the end, ok?

Drum roll please....

1)  Today is the anniversary of the day I married my husband.  Besides being a genius, he is a lot of fun, very kind and altruistic, he is humble, he is an amazing dad to our daughter, and I cannot imagine life without him.  I tell him jokingly that we've been together so long, that I know what he wants before he knows what he wants.  All told, we've been together for 25 years.  (That used to seem like a really, really long time!)

2)  I am very maternal, and love taking care of my family, including my extended family, and my daughter's friends.  

3) I am (mostly) Italian, and learned to cook by watching my mom and my grandparents, and asking questions.  I love to cook and bake, and rarely use recipes except for baking.  Even then, I alter and experiment.  I've been working on a cookbook for years, to pass on the family specialties I learned growing up.  I hope to eventually self-publish it, perhaps after my girl goes off to college.  A funny story related to this - when my mom only had a short time left here with us, I asked her to write down recipes for a couple of her iconic dishes.  She said "What do you mean, write it down? You just do this and that, add a bit of  xyz, and that's it!"  She never did write any of it down.  You see why I don't use recipes?

4) I don't know a stranger.  I can talk with anyone, anytime, anywhere.  I regularly meet new people in the grocery store.  It is rare that I go out in my part of town without running into someone I know.  (Which drives my hubby crazy, hee-hee.)  I love my friends like family - they are all really important to me.  As much as I am social, though, I do really like my quiet time to unwind.

5) I play the piano, mostly for my own enjoyment.  I took it up after a lapse of a bazillion years when I retired (see #7).  I only twice played for an audience, both times it was a duet of Gounod's Ave Maria with my daughter, with her on alto sax. The first time I played for an audience, it was in front of 500 people, most of whom I knew.  {Nervewracking..} A nun asked me to play, and I never could say no to a nun!  Related to music, I love church music/hymns, both to play them and sing them.  

6)  My daughter describes me as a) intense b) sometimes scary (in a fierce, mom kind of way)  c) frugal and d) a health nut.  (She inherited the same intensity and frugality!)

7) Almost 8 years ago, I sold my private practice and retired from the practice of medicine because of some serious health challenges.  People ask me all the time if I miss it.  I loved practicing medicine, and still keep current in pediatrics and other areas of interest, but my health and family are my #1 priority.  I am one of those people that is just happy wherever I am.


Still awake????



Oh, one thing I forgot to throw in there is that I am a true coffee junkie. In fact, I am enjoying a cup right now. Thank goodness coffee has some antioxidant properties, eh?  

Another rule is to nominate other bloggers you find inspiring.  Here are some, there are many more:

1)  Dawn @ Two On, Two Off.  She makes great running clothes and lives where it is mighty cold! If you haven't checked her blog today, you must.  She made the sweetest thing for her kiddos!
2)  Rhonda Buss @ Rhonda's Creative Life.  Rhonda is a veritable cornucopia of creativity, and is the most sharing, lovely blogger I've found.  I always look forward to reading her blog posts, whether it is Sunday Soups, and inspirational post, or her FFPF (Fabulous Free Pattern Friday).  A gorgeous jacket she made is in the March issue of Threads! 
3)  Lori @ Girls in the Garden.  Lori is incredibly prolific, she makes my head spin!  She makes not only clothes for herself and her daughters, but she also makes bags and gorgeous quilts.  She has her first grandbaby on the way!
4)  Cindy @ Cation Designs.  She is a Chemistry teacher, a really great sewist, and a lover of all things LOTR. How come I never had a chemistry teacher like her?  Check out her cute cat, Walnut.
5)  Dixie @ With Needle and Brush.  Dixie is super creative with fabrics and paints.  She makes clothes, purses, the creativity just flows from her.  I miss her posts, but she says her sewing mojo is in full force!  
6)  Amy @ The Cloth Habit.  Amy is a lingerie goddess.  She has a free pattern on her blog called the Rosy Ladyshorts that are super cute and comfy looking, and are on my short list.  She is hosting a bra sew along beginning in January, my first! 

There are so many more I could go on all night.  I so enjoy the sewing and creative blogger world, as it is a constant source of inspiration, and I've 'met' so many nice sewists!  Thank you ALL for your creative inspiration.

Peace,

Andrea



10 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary and your award is well deserved! Beautiful lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Andrea :) Whenever I was with my grandmother and we would find a parking space right in front of the store we wanted to go to, she would say, "We're livin' right today!" I must be livin' right today as you and Cennetta of The Mahogany Stylist both nominated me for this award.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats (slightly belatedly) on your wedding anniversary. How lovely. I can't help but think that planning a wedding leading up to Christmas would've been pretty jolly intense too!

    I know what you mean about strangers - we have a few here but most of them get talked to by me. Can't help it :o) and it drives my JJ mad too LOL.

    Congrats on your awards.

    PS the pic of Crystal is covering up your note about coffee addiction .... are you able to move it over or up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! I'll let you in on a secret - I did not plan my wedding, as we got married on our Christmas break during second year of med school. My mom did all the planning, had all the dresses made, etc. I just showed up with my dress!
      We could probably talk each other to death, lol. I fixed the picture of Crystal. Sometimes the program I use has format issues that drive me crazy.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your awards! It's fun to get to know you a little better. :)

    A bra sew along? Oooo... I'm not sure I'm ready for that, but it sounds like fun. I might have to check it out!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin! You should sign up if you have time - she is starting in January, after the holidays, but she has already posted about supplies and patterns.

      Delete
  5. It was a pleasure to know things about you ... I enjoyed your section of recipes, hehe ... I am unable to cook without a recipe in front of me ... Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosy! One of my closest friends only cooks with a recipe also, and she is a great cook. Happy New Year to you!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.