Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Bra Talk

Today I did some preliminary work to prepare to make my first trial bra.  I followed a regarding bra pattern drafting someone posted over at the sew along, which proved to be most helpful. At that site, I learned how to do a "breast root trace" (BRT).  Below is my result.  It involves using a flexible ruler or alternatively, a length of wire can be used.



Once I traced my BRT onto paper, I put my underwire on top of my tracing.  Lo and behold:

I was happy to find that the underwires I chose empirically (and ordered online) were an excellent match to my BRT.  It's a tad hard to see, but the white underwire is sitting on top of the black marker tracing.

That's it for today.  Tomorrow I plan to trace off my pattern and possibly start a muslin, while I await my bra fabrics to arrive in the mail from Canada.

See you soon with more bra talk! 

Andrea

4 comments:

  1. Oh, it will be fun to follow your progress with this project. I've never had a desire to make a bra, although that might be the only way I'll ever own one that fits well and is comfortable. Right now, I've got too many other things I want to sew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really looking forward to learning if I can get a better bra fit for my body than I am able to get in RTW. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. This is exciting. Thanks for taking us along on the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope the results are exciting, too!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.