Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Great Purge of 2013

It is a mere 3 weeks into 2013, and it has been quite a year so far!  It began with a bout with the flu (boo!) and then hubby's mom tried to die on us (hiss!).   We all had the vaccine, so all in all our flu was manageable.  The MIL is back home, and hopefully behaving herself.  (The near death experience was preventable, grrrr.) But on to other things!

Yesterday, I was able to check a major 'to-do' off of my ever growing list.  Do you keep one of those lists, either in your head or written down?  Maybe on a smartphone App?  As I have mentioned once or thirty-five times here on the blog, I shed a good bit of weight in 2012.  My closet was busting at the seams with clothes that were too big and completely unwearable.  A few pictures of the too big clothing:

Jackets and Slacks

Sweaters and casual clothes.

Casual pants, workout clothes, shorts and skirts on the left, tees and tops/sweaters on the right.

Tops, summer jackets/coats.

Blouses/shirts/tops.

After purging, I pulled out some old clothes in a smaller size that I had saved because they were good quality, timeless styles, or just my favorites, and I had plans to revisit the size.  100% fit, yay!!! Everything that is immediately wearable is already in my closet, but some need a little work.


Mending/refashioning/resizing pile.
This pile consists of things I've deemed worth keeping but need a little work.  I kept this pile small intentionally, because I hate mending.  On the bottom is my boucle skirt that I made according to the Threads article that showed how to make a lined skirt so it is easy to take in.  So glad I did that!

Nine pairs of pants or jeans that need hemmed. 
The pants need hemmed because I've had to give up high heeled shoes (sniff) due to a painful foot issue.  I have been shopping for shoes that are sensible and don't hurt when I walk (read = unfashionable, and I'm crying on the inside).  I ordered a pair today, so I'll be a hemming fool when the shoes arrive.  

So, what to do with all the too-big clothes?  I have a friend  who is to become the beneficiary of my ex-wardrobe.  She is on her own weight loss journey, and hates to shop (imagine!), so is happy with the haul.  I'm happy because I know my old clothes are going to a good home, and not languishing in a hefty bag at the donation intake center.  Anyhow, I feel another 10 pounds lighter having cleaned out the excess!

What's up next in the studio?

The week of the flu sapped the life out of me, and I just didn't feel like sewing.  Instead, I tackled the piles on my cutting table - organized, did some cutting out, did some planning.  Now I have several projects ready to sew, items that have been on my sewing 'to-do' list.  One pattern I wanted to trace is this Burda from 09/2011, but can't find (only) that issue of Burda. One thing I dislike more than tracing a Burda mag pattern is downloading and taping together a pattern.  So this pattern is TBD.

Now that my closet has been purged and only contains wearable items, I can immediately see the holes in my wardrobe.  Although I have a pair of knit pants cut out, my focus needs to be on tops, because that is what I need now.  And panties.  As soon as I stock up on panty lace, I will be sewing some undies for myself and my daughter.  She loved both pair I recently made, and I've promised her some.  They are fun to sew!

Oh, and window treatments.  Way high up on the sewing 'to do' list is to make curtains for the master bedroom.  That will be soon, and boring, but necessary.  

Also, I've about finished my trial bra for the bra sew-along at Cloth Habit.  More on that later this week.  

Have a great week!

Andrea



13 comments:

  1. It sounds like you're off to a good start on the year, despite the flu. Purging a wardrobe can give such a lift! Too bad about your feet, and welcome to the world of flat, supportive shoes. I haven't been able to wear heels for several years. I really miss wearing stylish footwear!
    Looking forward to seeing what you make next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dixie, I will be in good company it looks like!

      Delete
  2. Cleaning out your closet can be the best feeling. Congratulations on making room for not only clothes, but many wonderful new things. Here's to a fabulous new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Dixie, I share your pain about pretty shoes. I haven't been able to wear heels for years. It is SO not fair.

    How did I miss that Threads article? I have that issue, I will have to go and look it up. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, so not fair! It's a good article, I detailed it in pictures on the blog. Just follow the link in this post.

      Delete
  4. The good thing about this is the fun you will have refilling your wardrobe. COngratulations on your weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! that is some major wardrobe purge!! Congratulations on your weight loss, and I'm sure you will have lots of fun filling the gaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, room for new clothes! That is a daunting task. Congratulations on completing it and finding a new home for all those garments. Kudos on the wieght loss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you to be able to get rid of larger clothes. Good for you. Nice to hear your old clothes have gone to a good home - here's to sewing a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blimy nicely done purging. I'm dead impressed too that you kept the really nice pieces and they now fit again. That beats the thing about no more heels. Really it does ;-)

    On the Burda 09/2011 issue, I have it so let me know what pattern number and I can trace it for you if you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily, that's so generous!
      And yes, the foot/shoe thing? Just sad, sad, sad.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!