Monday, February 25, 2013

Xiao Long Bao, a Foodie Quickie

Took a break from two sewing projects to be the one woman camera crew for my daughter as she made these little delights. What are they? Well I'm so glad you asked!
The translation is 'Little Basket Bun' I am told. They are little baskets of yum! Inside a small piece of dough rolled in a thin circle is a mixture of pork, and several flavoring ingredients like ginger, green onion, and soy sauce, along with a broth that has been thickened with a special ingredient. When steamed, the thickened broth makes soup! So it's like a little basket of soup, with pork in the center, how cool is that??!
These were hands down the best Chinese food item I have ever eaten. We invited friends over and had these for dinner.
Lauren made these for her Chinese Class, as the students were assigned to make an authentic Chinese dish. I'm pretty darn sure she aced this assignment!


5 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm hungry and this is so unfair LOL. Oh well, my sandwich will have to do I think.

    BTW I’ve nominated you for a Beautiful Blogger Award :-) . I hope you don’t mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum and yum! I volunteer to hold the camera next time if I get to sample as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's very talented - like her Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet she aced it too, those look delicious! I love Chinese food too and have a watering mouth right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.