Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Maxi Remake

Hello from warm and sunny Florida! Hope you're having a stellar day. It is unseasonably cool here right now, which is still warm, but so gorgeous outside. Comfy weather for today's outfit.

I've worn it twice this week!

How often do you find yourself in a dressing room, all alone, no salesperson in sight, to take some cell phone selfies? Never? Me neither. Until this past weekend, that is.

My daughter's school leases a space in one of the local malls for their yearly Student Art Show.  I'm doing my volunteer duties and covering this afternoon's shift, enjoying all of the amazing art.  (Seriously great art!) And I'm wearing my new maxi skirt.

This store space used to be an Ann Taylor I think, so it is equipped with dressing rooms.  So yeah, I took some great photos cheap cell phone pics of my outfit.


Blurry face shot.



The cami and linen sweater are old and RTW.  The skirt is the newer piece here. Actually it used to be a dress that just didn't see much wear, mostly because it was so revealing at the bust. I would typically throw it on over my bathing suit at the beach. The fabric is great, comfy, smooth, and drapey, (probably ITY poly) so the other day I got a wild hair (hare?), cut the top off and made a new maxi skirt.  I have enjoyed wearing my new maxi skirt, and I think it will see the light of day much more often than the dress ever did.

Side view/blurry face...

I can't say I love the sweater with this skirt - not quite the right length/proportion.  I'll be making a couple tops to coordinate with this skirt very soon, and I have the perfect fabric in the stash!

I have a small pile of other items awaiting a remake, and enjoying this skirt makes me want to get to my pile. I'm not doing MMM this year, so maybe I'll just do a little personal 'Re-made May'?! (Next year I want to do MMM, though.  Hold me to that, okay?)

How about you, are you into re-making your rarely worn clothes into something you'll wear more? Breathing new life into an old garment? Cutting up your husband's t-shirts to try out the latest underwear pattern? (Not that I've done that. Much, anyway.)  I'd love to hear about your favorite remakes!

 Still trying to catch up on posting, so I'll be back soon.  Until then, happy sewing friends!

Andrea




10 comments:

  1. You look great BTW! You look like you've lost more weight. And I like the hair pulled back too. Okay, the clothes...great skirt!! I just love long skirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rhonda! I love them too, especially for summer when you go into a restaurant that has the A/C set on frigid! I have lost a few more pounds, and a few inches of hair. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love the fact that we can remake clothes that don't seem to work in their original state, into something new that will work, all because we know how to sew. Your new skirt is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon! I love that too, so nice fabric/garments don't have to languish unused.

      Delete
  3. Seems cameras in fitting rooms was something happening across the continent! I love the skirt - you've inspired me to do something with a few dresses I just don't love - make them into skirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you do a show 'n tell!

      Delete
  4. We're going to have to dub you the "re-fashion" queen! I recognize that was the dress you text me a photo of when you were going to New York! (The one with the cami underneath). I love it as a maxi! What a cool idea! Love it! I've not done a lot of "re-fashioning", however, I am definitely open to the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is the one! It didn't make the cut to go to NYC, but maybe it would have as a maxi?!

      Delete
  5. Hi. Just letting you know I have nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award. Some people love awards, some people don’t. Please don’t feel any pressure to participate. It is entirely up to you. Just my way of letting you know I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, BeaJay! I enjoy yours as well.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.