Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Woman Who Taught Me to Sew, and a Local Meet-up

  Sunday was Mother's Day, as you know, and to all the moms out there - including you 'adopted moms', I hope you had a wonderful day.



This is my mom - I believe it's her senior picture from high school. Beautiful, wasn't she? Mom married about a year after this photo was taken, then had three children, each almost exactly a year apart. I was the third. Mom went on to have three more kids, spaced a little better than the first three. 

What do I remember about my mom when I was a little girl? I remember she was patient and loving. I fondly remember her reading to us every day, and teaching me to read, write, and do math problems.  I distinctly recall  she believed in the power of pine-sol and spic 'n span.  She told me once how much she liked hearing the sound of my siblings and me playing and laughing in the yard on summer days when the windows were open.  Mom could be as ferocious as a mama bear when it came to protecting her children.  I poignantly remember when my mother lost a young child, my sister, to cancer, how she never stopped caring for the rest of us, even through her grief, something I never fully appreciated until I had a child of my own.  

My mother only gave birth to six children, but mothered (and fed!) many more over the years.  Throughout her entire life, Mom never stopped giving to those around her, especially to her children and grandchildren.  She was truly the glue that held us together.

I learned many things from my mom - not the least of which was to sew.  Mom made me a beautiful plaid wool skirt and wrap one autumn, teaching me how to lay out the pattern and match the plaid in the process.  I still have the wrap stored away, which had fringed edges, but unfortunately I can't wear wool anymore.  My first lesson in 're-making' a garment into another wearable garment came from Mom when I was pretty young.  It was a warm, early summer day, when a friend called to see if I would come over and run thru the sprinkler with her, a common activity of our youth. I didn't have a bathing suit yet that summer, so what do you think my mother did? She pulled out her own bathing suit, cut out a bikini suit for me from it, then quick sewed it up on her sewing machine. The same machine on which I learned to sew some time later.  Mom not only saved the day, but taught me a few things that day by her actions.  

We lost Mom 3 1/2 years ago, and I miss her like crazy.  Even though I am old enough to be a (young!) grandmother, I still wanted more time with her.  We had fun together as adults, and Mom adored my husband, especially when he golfed with her. I could never argue with my husband when Mom was around, because in her eyes, the man walks on water.  It's a pretty good deal when your mom loves and respects the man you married!   Hug your mom today, and tell her you love her. You won't regret it!

Andrea

p.s.: I have some clothes to post about, and I'll do just that as soon as we get our air conditioning working again and I can get dressed without breaking a sweat.  We had no A/C for a week, so I am thankful for the little 'gift from the heavens' cold front that came through and dropped our temps to a high of 84*F, with some lovely, cool sleeping temps at night!

p.p.s.:  Vicki from Another Sewing Scientist (the very same who started the Map the Sewintists Project) is in Tampa for work this week.  Myra and I are meeting Vicki for Dinner on Thursday! If you are in the area and interested in a sewing blogger meet-up, send me an email and I will send you the details.  Don't be shy - the more the merrier! A :)





4 comments:

  1. Your mom is absolutely beautiful. As for your husband, although I've only spent a very short amount of time with him, I can't imagine anyone not thinking that he is wonderful:-)You have some wonderful people in your life!
    Now on the A/C front. OMG!! I can't even imagine not having air in Florida. I think I would have gone to a hotel. I can remember when I was little and sleeping at my grandmother's house. It would be so hot. I would complain and my grandmother would say, "just lay still and you'll get cool." I didn't, but it's a sweet memory nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mom sounds as special as mine was. I'll always miss her too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so much like your beautiful mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in catchup so sorry for the late comment.

    Your mum was wonderful and you have been very blessed to have her in your life. Thank you for writing about her and sharing a little of her with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Sadly, comment moderation and word verification had to be turned on due to excess spam.