Thursday, September 26, 2013

Makeup Brush Rolls and Many Thanks

Hello!!  Thank you all for your comments and emails after my last post, and for all the good thoughts and prayers.  I am happy to be able to say that our daughter is much improved, and pretty much back to life as usual.  It was a stressful time for all of us. Any of you who have children know that you are only as well as your sickest child, and no matter the age, watching your child suffer just makes your heart hurt. When I was young, I used to wonder why my mom prayed so much, with such constancy. As a mom, I know. I have one child; my mom had six, so she always had novenas going!




I needed to sew something non-taxing and fun while the stress was high, so I whipped up a couple of makeup brush rolls.  Recently I had purchased a nice set of makeup brushes for my daughter, and thought it would be nice for both of us to have a roll up case for traveling.  After reading the myriad of tutorials on line, I used this tutorial at Sew 4 Home. It was a good tutorial, although if you are very new to sewing, you may need more detailed instructions. My favorite part about the tutorial was the part about using waxed paper to draw your lines on and then sew through to get the individual pockets.



Fabric was purchased from Hancock's Fabrics - the dot fabric is laminated cotton (wipes clean), the only choice they had in store.  The green and black are quilting cottons, and I used cotton batting between the laminate and the black fabrics.  I made double fold bias tape out of the green fabric.  The brush rolls are so similar, I decided to add black grosgrain ribbon as ties to mine to distinguish between the two. I customized the pockets in mine to accommodate my particular brushes. The open brush roll above is my daughter's - the pink arrow shows where I shortened one of the pockets by sewing horizontally. The eyeliner brush is a shortie, and otherwise would get lost in the pocket.

The dotty laminate fabric is a bit crooked, oh well! This was a fun little project, and the closest I have come to quilting. I would like to make another set of these with more 'sophisticated' fabric choices when I find a suitable laminated cotton, and may make some as gifts in the future.  Overall, my daughter and I both like these rolls a lot; they will keep our brushes organized while traveling.

On another note, I lost another 20 pounds over the summer, so literally nothing fits, except a couple things I recently purchased. Out of all the clothes that I've made, I only have two tops that are still wearable.  The plan is to formulate a plan - not my usual m.o., but necessary right now as I need to replenish the basics.  I'll be back soon with something to wear. 

Andrea






10 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're all doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news that your daughter is doing better, and I am as jealous as hell about your weight loss! Congratulations!

    Have you thought of making your own laminate fabric? I can get this stuff in my local poor excuse for a fabric store, so I am certain you would be able to find it where you are.

    http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/2+yard+pkg-+iron-on+vinyl+.do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Elle, I think I might have some of that! Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  3. I am so glad to hear that your daughter is on the mend! And woo hoo! for your weight loss! I can't wait to see how you decide to go about refilling your closet.

    I could really use a makeup roll like that-- mine is looking pretty thrashed at this point. Thanks for the link to the tutorial-- I shall definitely be checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin! You should definitely try the makeup Roll pattern. It's a good pattern, and a handy item to have. Let me know if you try it!

      Delete
  4. What a pretty way to celebrate your daughter being better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea, I am so happy to hear your daughter is much better! I was worried about you both! Welcome back to blogging and congratulations on your additional weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Myra! We have got to get together now that life has settled down!!!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!